Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sister Fitch: July 25, 2011

hello all!
 
Hurray for no stupid timer in the corner of the screen threatening to shut me down every moment.  Stupid timer.  Ok, sooo much to write!! 
 
I have been assigned to Ottowa.  Must admit, I was...devastated.  Ha.  It's an English speaking area, and not only do I have NO CLUE how to teach in English, I so so so desperately wanted to be French speaking.  This is the only English area for sisters in the mission.  Sigh.  After just one week, my French is seriously suffering.  But, I was called to speak French, so I know I WILL be using it sometime.  My trainer is Sister Palmer, and she's really great.  She's spunky and fun and hiccups randomly throughout the day.  She's really patient and encouraging, and is nice to be but pushes me too.  Gosh, this is HARD!  Street contacting is the hardest for me.  I never know what to say.  There's a lot that's hard, but I will learn.  My trainer is great, so I have no worries--it will all come with time.  Getting to a new area is kind of overwhelming anyway, I think, but being Green...yeesh.  Mark, I'm sure you can relate. 
 
We have several lessons every day.  When we have a rattez-vous here, Mark, we call it getting Smurfed.  No idea why.  We got smurfed ALL day on Saturday.  Hooray!  Its so....fun!!  We have three (kind of four) amis with baptism dates.  We are teaching several others, but some have a ways to go.  Last night we had an appointment with a less active family.  They are awesome.  They were a little cold at first, but by the end they were saying "our home is your home.  We are your family while you are here."  They are from El Salvador.  I'm excited to keep working with them.  So, I had two weeks of emails to read through, so even though I get a whole hour, I still don't have much time to write.  Sigh.  I have a hard time keeping up with my journal too!
 
So, I could go into each of my investigators, but there is too much to say about all of them!  One of them, Blair, was a referral from X-Box...yeah.  He played x-box live and asked one of the guys he played with why he never played on sunday.  He told him he was mormon, Blair asked lots of questions, his friend referred him, we've been teaching him and he's getting baptized september 3!  Anyway, lots of crazy things like that. 
 
Today for p-day we went to Parliament.  It was neat, but the tour was in French, and the girl was REALLY hard to understand, so I mostly just looked around and enjoyed the architecture.  Then we went and got Poutine, which is...different.  but i really like it.  It's french fries with cheese curds and gravy on it...weird, I know.  But tasty!!  And...hearty.  I could feel myself expanding. 
 
What else?  The President and his wife are great.  We got to spend the night and morning we arrived at their house, and they fed us, and it was divine.  My hair is going CRAZY in the humidity.  It got up to 45 degrees the other day. NO idea what that is in ferenheit.  All I know is it was HOT HOT HOT.  Headache, kind of lethargic, not fun.  Yesterday was nice, and today is cloudy and nice too.  Looking forward to fall.  Oh boy, what else.  Hmm.  I haven't really been myself since getting here; just so much to adjust to and learn that I feel very small and very...small.  It's coming, though.  It's been really good to spend so much time serving others.  It's easy to forget how overwhelmed, tired, frustrated, exhausted, and inadequate I can feel when I am serving others!! And then those feelings just sort of go away.  The harder I work the happier I am.  I am meeting some really amazing people, who are making HUGE changes to have the gospel in their lives.  I have been humbled by their faith.  Anyway, must go, can't believe its already been an hour.  Arg! 
 
Much love to you all.  I LOVE being a missionary.  I'm learning what people meant when they said the mission is hard.  I can't believe how emotionally attached I already am to so many people.  Alright, I was going to write things down so I would remember to write them in my email, but too much happened this week to write about it all anyway.  THANK YOU all for your emails.  It's nice to hear from you.  if you send real mail (which is AWESOME...) send it to the mission home.  I get it any time anyone comes to Ottowa from the Island (Montreal is on an island).  Which is usually at least once or twice a month.  okay, I LOVE you all very much. 
 
Avec amour,
 
Hannah

No comments: