Monday, December 19, 2011

Sister Fitch: December 12, 2011

I can't believe this week is already over.  I think it was one of the fastest of my mission so far.  I think it's just the beginning, though--Christmas is a busy time on the mission!  It's also kind of an awkward time, at least in the young single adult branch.  Everyone is in the middle of exams, and once exams are done, everyone is going home for Christmas.  It's hard to get the members involved in the work, and its hard to get our investigators to meet with us.  Come January, hopefully things will mellow out a bit and people will be around!  This weekend was the Stake Christmas program.  I sang in a quartet (What Child is This) and I think it turned out well.  I also sang with the YSA choir and the missionary choir, so by the end of the night, after rehearsing for all three, then performing all three, my voice was pretty worn.  Fun fact, do any of you know the band Arcade Fire?  One of the members of the band, Will Butler, happens to be a member of the church.  He's been less active for a while, but my zone leaders are the elders that have been working with him recently.  He and a few members of the band sang a Christmas song they wrote (I think?) a Capella at the program, it was pretty cool.  I got to see lots of people from Ottawa, because they heard Arcade Fire was putting on a free concert...well...not quite.  Still, it was SO good to see their faces.  I love it here in Montreal, but I'm having a harder time getting close to the members, and they don't work with us like the members in Ottawa would.  I'm sure it has to do with the time of year, and the fact that life in Montreal is much faster paced than life in Ottawa.  Still, Ottawa members would fight over who got to come with us to lessons (literally--wrestling each other for it) and members here its kind of like pulling teeth...they are too busy for it.  Sigh.  Anyway, Pauline heads back home for Christmas this week.  I think she'll be just fine, but a few extra prayers on her behalf wouldn't hurt.  I have become the mission accompanist.  At least, the zone accompanist.  I played for a baptism this weekend, and then for a fireside yesterday, as well as for the missionary choir while practicing for the program.  It's fun to be able to use my talent!  It worked out well, too, because we were able to bring people to both events and it was very beneficial for them.  Anyway, I have to go, because the internet shut down for a bit so now there is a back-up of missionaries who need the computers.  I love you all!!  Much, much love,
 
Hannah

No comments: